DISCLAIMER

“GED®
is a registered trademark of the American Council on Education (ACE) and
administered exclusively by GED Testing Service LLC under license. This material [or
content] is not endorsed or approved by ACE or GED Testing Service.

Saturday, June 13, 2015

Success GED Independent Clause






An independent clause (or main clause) is a clause that can stand by itself as a simple sentence. An independent clause contains a subject and a predicate; it makes sense by itself and therefore expresses a complete thought.
Independent clauses can be joined by using a semicolon or by using a comma followed by a coordinating conjunction (for, and, nor, but, or, yet, so, however, etc...).

  • I drive a bus. (This is a simple sentence.)
  • I am a doctor, and my wife is a lawyer. (This is a compound sentence made up of two independent clauses: I am a doctor and my wife is a lawyer.)
  • I want to be a nurse, but I need to receive my science degree. (compound sentence made up of two independent clauses: I want to be a nurse and I need to receive my science degree)
  • John walked to the park with his friend, Jim. (This is another simple sentence.)

No comments:

Post a Comment